Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Partridges - A Hidden Meaning?

It has always been a puzzlement to me as to why 'My True Love' was so inconsiderately generous ... I mean where is one to store 23 fowls (not including 8 cows!), and 50 surplus people?? That isn't even taking into account that one is responsible to feed them all ...
*dink-dink*
It wasn't until yesterday evening that my curiosity was satiated, when Mum read to us from a book titled, The Real 12 Days of Christmas
{by Helen Haidle}.
It begins by explaining that in England, sometime during the sixteenth century, any religion, other than the proclaimed state religion, was forbidden. Thus, over the next three centuries, the individuals who refused to adhere to this law developed creative ways to teach the children their beliefs.
The generous benefactor, 'my true love', is referring to God. =)
On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a partridge in a pear tree.
"The original gift of Christmas is Jesus, sent to earth from God.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son. John 3:16
The partridge was known as a valiant bird, willing to fight to the death in order to defend its young. This bird's readiness to die for its young made it an ancient Christian symbol of Christ. The pear tree represents the cross.
I am the good shepherd...I lay down my life for the sheep. John 10:14-15"
It is my goal to be able to share with you the meaning of each day of Christmas until we reach ... December 25th! ;)

This past weekend was the annual IBLP staff Christmas Conference!
It has ever been a highlight for me. +)
The speakers were incredible, and there were also really awesome people there that I got to see. =D
Tell someone about the true meaning of Christmas - you may be the first person who's ever taken the time to tell them about our magnificent Savior! <3
Happy First Day of Christmas to all!
Ta-ta,
Phia
Post Script - I do apologize for being unable to post last week ... what with a hectic Christmas sche-dual and all, I trust you understand? =) I'm going to make up for it by posting every day until Christmas - highly unusual, I knowr. =P We shall see what transpires!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating book, Sohpia! I've also wondered about the significance of the gifts of "The Twelve Days of Christmas." Thanks for informing us on the partridge and pear tree! :)

    P.S. I miss you! Maybe soon we can catch up and you can tell me about your senior year, Journeys, and the Christmas conference. Merry Christmas, Chickadee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks muchly for commenting ... it was terribly chummy of you. =)